Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Evan'sstory, chapter 14, They That Mourn


They That Mourn
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5-4

   I know this promise made by the Savior himself is true. I know it with all my heart, mind and soul. I know because I was given a glimpse of how things will be.
   1993 was a hard year. Aside from dealing with Evan’s numerous issues, are oldest daughter, April, was fighting depression. We were mourning for two of our children. We were mourning the loss of an able bodied, able minded son, and the loss of a happy daughter.
   I had a dream. Or, I should say, I was given a dream. I was in a room in Heaven, with my children coming through a door. It was a beautiful room, with cherry wood paneling. We were dressed in white. I was struck by April’s radiant smile, free from any signs of depression. I was carrying little Evan in my arms. My family had the look of anticipation, like they were expecting something wonderful to happen. There was a raised desk on one side of the room, with three men sitting behind it. These men had the air of authority about them, with a hint of a smile that suggested something indeed, very wonderful, was about to happen.
   Addressing me, one of them said, “Put him down.”
   As I lowered Evan to the floor, his legs dangled uselessly, until his feet touched the floor. I immediately sensed that the spina bifida was healed, and strength flowed from his lower back to his feet. Evan responded as a young child who has just learned how to run.
   Oh, the overwhelming sense of joy! My tears of joy were washing away all my tears of grief, from that first awful diagnosis until the day I die. Every tear of anguish, even those held back, because a man isn’t supposed to cry, were washed away.
   I know that at some future time, I will feel this joy again. But it will neither be a dream nor will it be temporary. To quote Isaiah 53-4 again, “surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows.
   I’m nobody special. I’m not the only parent who has watched his or her children go through sorrows. In this vale of tears we call Earth, we lose loved ones, we, ourselves suffer, and even worse, we watch our loved ones suffer. But Jesus promised all will be comforted.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Revelations 21-4

2 comments: