Sunday, July 22, 2012

Evan's story, chapter 19...continued


   Evan was still facing a long and painful recovery with a myriad of complications. He had bad reactions to medication, an intestinal blockage, anemia, a yeast infection in his esophagus, seizures, and an inability to eat. The latter problem required an intravenous feeding tube.
   Cindy was there almost the whole time. In her journal, dated July 28th, she shares her thoughts with Evan.

The days blur together, sitting here in the hospital.
Why aren’t we home yet?
I wonder if we are losing you.
For the first time ever I sense discouragement in you.
I know this surgery has been hard on you, much harder than you expected.
I’m sorry I didn’t prepare you better. Would that have been possible?
Things happened that I didn’t even expect.
You are so brave, even though your physical body betrays you.
Your spirit must be so strong.
What glories lie ahead for you?
I hope I don’t hold you here longer than need be.
You have a perfect body waiting.

   Evan began to doubt he was ever going to recover. I was at his bedside one night when he told Cindy, “Thank you for giving birth to me.”  The poor child didn’t think he was going to live any longer and he was thanking his mother for not having an abortion.
   I was coming and going between home and the hospital. A couple of times, I brought Rachel and April with me. On one such visit, I told Cindy to go home.
   “No,” she objected, “I can’t leave.”
   “Go home,” I insisted. I knew she needed a break. I remembered the father of the cancer patient at UCLA gave his wife a needed break. It was my turn to give my wife a break. She cried all the way home. When she returned, she brought Katie with her. And she admitted she needed the break.
   Having all three of the girls there lifted Cindy’s and Evan’s spirits. David, Sariah and Spencer also paid a surprise visit. During this rough time, Donald Nielsen, our Home Teacher, dropped in for a visit. He was in the San Jose area on business and took the time to visit Evan. Cindy was very appreciative.
   Finally, on August 22, 2000, five days before his 13th birthday, Evan was home. He still had a feeding tube, but that soon went away. His real recovery could now start.
   I want to close this sad chapter with my favorite line from all of scripture.
“…and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame…”
Alma 11-44

1 comment:

  1. I remember some of nurses there being great. I remember that Evan had a hallucination about Katie, so when we came to visit the nurses helped Evan get revenge by giving him syringes with water and letting him squirt Katie.
    When Evan was in the hospital, I had to see Dr. Bravo for my sports physical and we ended up talking more about Evan than me. He said something that when people stay in the hospital that long they tend to get depressed. In other words Evan reaction to a long hospital stay was normal. If I remember correctly, Dr. Bravo also thought that Evan would recover better at home. Did he have anything to do with Evan being allowed to come home when he did?

    ReplyDelete