Monday, July 2, 2012

Evan's Story, Chapter 11, The Tumble


The Tumble
Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church: and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
James 5-14

   Between the time Evan got his first wheelchair and when we built the ramp, we simply lifted him up our front steps. One day, a three year old boy was visiting. This little boy thought it would be a good idea to help Evan roll out to our front yard, with disastrous results. We heard Evan screaming. When we rushed out, we found him face down, with a bloody nose. He was crying hysterically. I didn’t blame his friend for trying to be helpful. I blamed the spina bifida for Evan getting hurt. I hated it! Oh, how I hated it!
   About fifteen minutes later, the little boy’s parents came to pick him. The father, Tim Riley, was also an Elder in our church. I immediately asked for his help in administering a blessing to Evan. Evan was still crying loudly, even as Brother Riley anointed him with oil. Through tears of my own, I tried to listen to the Spirit.
   “Evan,” I said, “Your pain will soon go away and you will be your normal happy self.” That was an outrageous promise to make in front of my entire family.  Their own testimonies of the gospel may be on the line. In spite of my trepidations, Evan immediately calmed down, not crying as loudly. Cindy and David took Evan to the Emergency Room while I stayed home with the other children. They called me from the Emergency Room with some startling news.
   “Dad,” David said, “It was like somebody flipped a switch. One moment he’s crying. The next moment, he’s not. He wants to play. He’s the happiest camper in the Emergency Room. It’s like, why are we even here?”
   That question was answered by the x-ray. Evan’s nose was broken.
   When they arrived home, Evan took one look at me and made a monster face and growl. The kid was incredible. He had recently been hurt, but now he wanted to play monsters with me. I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. This time, I did both.
   Besides David, John was very impressed. He also had a broken nose and he remembered how much it hurt.
   Years later, when my older boys became Elders, I recounted this event. When I offered them their own vials of consecrated oil, they eagerly accepted.
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not,
to come unto me: for such is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 19-14.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment