Saturday, July 21, 2012

Evan's Story, chapter 19, a Terrible Untwisting


A Terrible Untwisting
But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
   Job 2-5

   July 12, 2000, was a play day. We went to the Six Flags theme park in Santa Clara. Evan especially loved the water ride. It was hot, and getting wet was fun. For a few hours, we were able to forget we were going to ruin the rest of his summer vacation. Ironically, Evan was still looking forward to throwing away his hated back brace.
   I had been dreading the next day, July 13. This was the day of Evan’s spinal fusion surgery. The surgery would be performed at Lucille Packard’s Children Hospital, a four hour drive from home. The doctors would start early in the morning. They would take twelve hours. If all went well, Evan would be home in three weeks. The day of the surgery was as bad as I feared. The recovery was much worse.
   The union representing the nurses was on strike. The hospital was staffed by a mix of nurses willing to cross the picket line and temporary nurses brought in throughout the country. Evan was going to pay a price for his audacity to require life saving surgery during their stupid labor dispute.
   We brought Evan in to the hospital very early in the morning. While he was being prepared for the surgery, Dr. Rinsky talked to us. We were instructed to stay in contact during the surgery. He would give us status updates throughout the day. Our little boy was then wheeled away from us. We were in for a long, excruciating wait.
   There weren’t many status updates. Dr. Rinsky addressed us once in the early afternoon. He bemoaned the fact that Evan’s bones were softer than normal. This was presenting challenges to the surgical team. Eventually, we were told the surgery was complete and he was being taken to the recovery room.
   Evan’s little body was so swollen, we hardly recognized him. When he regained consciousness, he said, “I’m crooked.” No, Evan, you were crooked. You are almost straight now. The doctors told us that Evan’s reaction was very common to scoliosis correction surgery. Evan spent three days in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and then was moved to another hospital room.
   The hospital rooms at Lucille Packard have beds for a parent to sleep in. This arrangement allows a mother or father to comfort a sick or injured child around the clock. Cindy promptly settled in for the long haul. I could stay in a nearby facility called the Ronald McDonald house.
   Monday, July 17th, proved to be the worst of the worse. It was obvious to us the temporary nurse was unfamiliar with a very important piece of equipment. This equipment was used to administer pain medication to Evan in just the right amount to control his pain. In mid afternoon, she totally botched it. Evan’s level of pain increased, but he did NOT cry out. However, his body tensed and his blood pressure and heart rate increased dramatically. We yelled at the nurses that something was wrong. Other nurses were called to help. Evan suffered for hours before his pain was brought under control. 
   By the time I left the hospital room that night, I was livid with anger. I went to the lead Nurses Supervisor and gave her a blast. “You need to train your temporary nurses better!” I bitterly complained. I told her exactly what happened to my son. 
  When I arrived in my room, I directed my angry cries at God. My thoughts were on the promise made to me that my tears of joy would wash away my tears of grief. This was a very thin thread to hang on to. “That joy better be strong enough for this!” I complained.
   “It will be,” was the soft reply.
  
“He lives to comfort me when faint; 
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint”

Hymn 136, I Know That My Redeemer Lives.  Samuel Medley
  

No comments:

Post a Comment