Saturday, July 14, 2012

Evan's Story, Chapter 17, Evan becomes an uncle.


Evan becomes Uncle Evan
Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversation, in all your prayers,
in all your exhortations, and in all your doings.
Doctrine and Covenants 108-7

   In March of 2000, Evan became an uncle. David’s wife, Sariah, gave birth to their first son, Spencer. The joy of the birth was soon squelched by the realization that something was terribly wrong with the baby. Spencer was not able to swallow any fluids.
   I went to the hospital to give what moral support I could as a grandfather. While there, the doctors discussed some of the possibilities with David and I. They soon had a test result that bore very bad news. Spencer’s esophagus was not attached to his stomach. Without medical intervention, he would slowly starve to death. The hospital in San Luis Obispo quickly made arrangements for Spencer to be flown down to the children’s hospital at UCLA. Sariah would have to stay in the hospital to recuperate from a C-section delivery. David would have to drive down to UCLA. He accepted my offer to accompany him. It was my turn to be the stronger, more experienced, parent.
   Naturally, Sariah was devastated by this sad turn of events. When David and I left her hospital room, she was still crying. It was heartbreaking, because I knew exactly how she felt, but there wasn’t anything I could do.
   Four hours later, David and I were at UCLA Medical Center.  I was able to show him around and help him get situated. The corrective surgery was performed the next morning. Spencer was taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, or NICU. This was the same NICU that Evan had been in twelve years before. I was shocked at how painful the memories were, but I kept those feelings to myself. After all, I was there to provide support to David.
   I am proud of David. He faced this trail with faith, courage, and optimism. From the way he talked to little Spencer, I knew he was going to be a good father.
   Spencer received excellent care at UCLA and had a good recovery. However, his problems were only just beginning. Children who have had this surgery often have trouble swallowing solid food. Sometimes, particles of food become lodged in the scar tissue of the esophagus.
   To add to the challenge, it was later discovered that Spencer has a moderate hearing loss. He’s not totally deaf, so that’s good. He is, however, very bright. He is also blessed with two parents who look after him well and support him 200%. Today, twelve years later, Spencer is playing the cello. I’m proud of that boy.



   In June of 2009, Kyle was born to my daughter Katie and her husband Brad. Cindy was delighted to be at the birth. She was there when a nurse discovered a blockage in Kyle’s throat. Kyle was our second grandson born with an esophagus not attached to his stomach. Fortunately, Katie and Brad live only half an hour away from Loma Linda Hospital, where Kyle had the same life saving surgery.
   Katie and Brad are now dealing with many of the same issues that David and Sariah have dealt with. On more than one occasion, Katie and Brad have conferred with them.
   I wish I could make their pain go away, but I can’t do that. I’m only a man. But I do know at some future time, He who can make the pain go away, will. In the meantime, I can act as the stronger, more experienced, parent.
   By the way, did I mention I’m also proud Katie and Brad? 


   Evan has other nieces and nephews, but that’s another chapter in Evan’s story. It's a happy chapter. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment