Monday, June 18, 2012

Evan's Story Foreword

 
Evan’s Story
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
Psalms 30-5

   Two years ago, on a Saturday morning, I was sleeping in. I define “sleeping in” as staying in bed until 7 am. If I try to stay in bed past 7, I often fall victim to Evan’s favorite prank. He sneaks into my room and turns on the lights. I don’t know why, but he thinks it’s funny to wake me up that way.
   I was having a strange dream. Yes, I know, dreams are strange, but this was stranger than most. In my dream, I was watching Evan struggle to perform the simple act of hitting a ball with a tennis racket. He was trying to stand while doing so, but failing. At this point, the dream became musical, with Evan singing a song about how he isn’t going to give up. In the song, there was a line, “I’ll pay the price…”
   That phrase had a profound impact on me. I thought of Evan paying the price for being born with spina bifida and all the other problems he has had throughout his life. Yes, he was paying the price for his mother and father even letting him be born. The thought dragged my soul into a deep sense of despair.
    With a click of the light switch, I am awake, staring at the bright lights over my head. Evan is at the light switch, laughing his head off, totally oblivious to my deep despair. It’s impossible for me to remain sad. Just as Light is stronger than Darkness, Joy is stronger than Sadness.
   This event is a parable for Evan’s entire life. While we despair over his disabilities and sufferings, Evan faces his challenges with courage and cheerfulness. This is his story, as told by me, Evan’s father.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment