Saturday, June 23, 2012

Evan's story, chapter 5, A Name and a Blessing


A Name and a Blessing
Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name.
Doctrine and Covenants 20-70

   The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints usually sets aside one Sunday of each month for a Fast and Testimony Meeting. Members abstain from food during breakfast and lunch and donate the money they save to a special account to help the needy of the church. During Fast and Testimony meeting, members are allowed to get up and share anything on their minds. This is a superb way we have of sharing our testimonies. Another thing we do is bless new born babies. This is called a christening in many other Christian churches. Fast and Testimony meetings have the potential to be very spiritual events.
   During the first Fast and Testimony Meeting with Evan, it was my privilege to give him a blessing. If done right, the Elder pronouncing the blessing should listen to the Spirit and say what he feels prompted to say. I was going to try my best. It is one thing to give a healthy baby a blessing in front of two hundred people, but it is entirely different to give a blessing to a baby with severe challenges.
   I don’t remember everything I said, but these words I will always remember. Choking back tears, I said, “Evan, you have been born with a handicap. But you have been given more than enough strength to overcome it.”
   I thought at the time, and I still think, those words were the most outrageous words I could have said. Almost twenty-five years later, those who know and love Evan agree that he has overcome spina bifida. True, he is neither running marathons nor earning doctorate degrees, but he is a joy to be around. If anyone has a right to be bitter about his situation in life, Evan does. But he is one of the happiest people I know.
   During this Fast and Testimony Meeting, I told the congregation about my prayer in the Temple and my answer. “I know how you feel,” I quoted, “I felt the same way when my Son died in agony on the cross.”  Bearing this testimony was a very hard thing for me to do. When I was returning to my seat, a flood of self doubt entered my mind. Did I really receive a direct answer from Heavenly Father? What if it was just my imagination? Should I have said what I just said to all of these people? Then these words came into my mind, “Your sins are forgiven.”  With that assurance, I knew everything I said was true.
   In spite of this great gift, I am nobody special. What God has said to me applies to all people who have ever suffered a loss or ever witnessed a love one suffering. Heavenly Father knows how you feel. He felt the same way when his beloved Son suffered on the cross.
Nevertheless, ye are blessed, for the testimony which ye have borne is recorded in heaven for the angels to look upon: and they rejoice over you, and your sins are forgiven you.
Doctrine and Covenants 62, verse 3

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to read what happens next.

    ReplyDelete