Thursday, June 21, 2012

Evan's Story, chapter 3, Optimism



Optimism
Wherefore, ye must press forward with steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope,
2 Nephi 31-20

   After we announced our decision to keep the baby, we were referred to the Children’s Hospital at UCLA. The doctors and nurses at UCLA were very encouraging. The head neurosurgeon at UCLA was a world famous neurosurgeon from South Africa named Dr. Warwick Peacock. Dr. Peacock was an advocate for treating spina bifida throughout the world. His optimism was a breath of fresh air.
   A new sonogram indicated that the hydrocephalus had not gotten any worse.  The doctors were no longer concerned about brain damage. We were taught that the height of the defect has an important affect. A higher defect affects more nerves. Evan’s spine defect was large, but low. It would definitely affect his ankles, maybe his knees. Bladder and bowel control would be a major issue, since the nerves that perform that function is at the bottom of the spine.
   We were also introduced to Dr. Tabish, who specialized in high risk deliveries. He was also an optimist, dedicated to giving his babies the best shot at life possible. He would closely follow the development of the baby and deliver Evan by a C-section.
   In early August, we were in Dr. Tabish’s office for a follow-up exam. The results of the sonogram were troubling. Evan was not growing. He strongly advocated delivering the baby as soon as possible, most likely on August 27th. That would be four weeks before his optimal delivery date. But if his lungs were developed, he could be delivered. The doctors could then figure out why he wasn’t growing.
   But was I ready? I had the full support of my family. My oldest brother, Richard, lived in Lompoc. He was an elder in the Church and was ready to give me any support he could. My parents would let me stay at their house, forty-five minutes away from UCLA. My other children were being remarkably patient. Cindy’s mother was staying at our home. I had the full support of my church. Cindy and I had received Priesthood Blessings of comfort and counsel.
   On August 23rd, I recorded in my Journal the following entry:
“My present attitude towards this problem is now this. Whatever I can do to give my youngest the best chance, I will do it. However much time it takes, I will spend it. Whenever I need help, I will ask for it, either from the Lord or from my fellow brethren. I plan on encouraging him for as long as he is under my care, whether it is one hour, eight years, or twenty years. I will not let Satan succeed in breaking up my family with this problem. I will no longer let this problem overcome me. And I must remember at all times, that this is a very special child coming to our family.”
  On August 26th, Cindy and I were at my parents’ house, awaiting a telephone call. Three hours previous, a sample of the amniotic fluid had been obtained. The sample could be analyzed to determine if Evan’s lungs were fully developed. Cindy answered the call.
   “The lungs are developed,” she said. Cindy was admitted to UCLA that night. Evan would be born on Thursday, August 27, 1987. I didn’t sleep well that night. Neither did Cindy.

1 comment:

  1. Mike I don't think any of us slept. We were all on pins and needles, anxious, and wanting the best.

    ReplyDelete