Sunday, October 28, 2012

Evan's Story, Chapter 27



 

Inclusion and Exclusion in the Church
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in?
Matthew 25-38

Our relationships with other people changed after Evan was born.  Since most of our friendships were within our church, most of what I will say involved other church members. Some people distanced themselves from us for reasons I do not understand. The most hurtful incident happened when Evan was about six. We were friends with another couple in the ward. I worked with the husband in my church calling and Cindy worked with the wife in her church callings. Their five year old son was very friendly with Evan. They had been to our house and we had been to theirs. When they gave their son a birthday party, they invited other children but excluded Evan. She mentioned this in passing to Cindy and didn’t feel it was such a big deal. If she had taken a big stick and hit Cindy over the head, it would not have hurt more. It would have been okay if we had considered them jerks beforehand. But these were our friends. Good members of the LDS church. If we were going to drop out of the church due to hurt feelings, this would have been the first time.
It was a relief to us when they moved away, but this intentional exclusion poisoned our attitude concerning the relationship between Evan and his peers. We were always on the lookout for further slights. I’m not sure we are over it yet.
Other families grew closer to us. Sam and Lennie-Lee Hodnett were shining examples. One of their twin boys was born with a heart defect, so they had a strong common bond with us. Tragically, their son died on the operating table, just shy of his eighth birthday. The Hodnetts moved to Nipomo, a community south of us, and then to the Sacramento area. Sam Hodnett served as a Bishop in the ward near our daughter April.
When Evan was older, Jeff and Katie Stassell, with their son Ryan, moved into our ward. Jeff and Katie had recently lost their oldest son to cancer. It goes without saying, they empathized with our situation. Ryan was a little younger than Evan and treated him very well. One of my biggest blunders involved this young man.
I was a stickler against people pushing Evan, since I wanted Evan to be strong enough and independent enough to wheel himself. So when I saw Ryan pushing Evan in his wheelchair, I told him not to. Ryan felt bad about this and later told his mother. His mother mentioned this incident to Cindy. Cindy told me about Ryan’s reaction after we had retired to bed. She could just as easily have said, “I love you. By the way, you’re a really big jerk.” I called the Stassells the next day and apologized to the parents and to Ryan.
As these boys grew up, Ryan continued to friendship Evan. His father also treated Evan very well. Neither Cindy nor I were surprised when Jeff Stassell was called as the Bishop to the newly formed Arroyo Grande Second Ward. Ryan grew into a fine young man. I can’t say enough good things about him.
Of all of the young women in the ward, the girl who was friendliest to Evan was Tori Burton. She knew how to talk with Evan, without the wheelchair coming between them. I later met Tori’s father, a carpenter who was paralyzed in a workplace accident.
I wish my memories of the other youth were as uplifting. Most children were not able to converse with Evan because of his mental delays. I witnessed many times when he was completely ignored by his peers. Perhaps they always thought that if Evan had his father with him, it was permissible to ignore Evan. Sometimes I was annoyed and other times I was incensed. The month prior to Evan’s big operation, I was serving as a counselor in the Bishopric. Our church had a large camp out involving scout troops from this area of the state. Evan was treated poorly by many of the boys. I was so sick and tired of it, I almost took Evan home. Cindy talked me out of it. Years later, Evan and I were at the church building for a Youth Temple trip. Evan was invisible to the other boys. When everyone was in their cars and ready to leave, Evan and I were alone. I was so angry and hurt, I did put Evan in the van and I did intend to just go home. One woman, Geri Murphy, saw what was happening and intervened.
Yes, Cindy and I complained the entire time Evan was in the Young Men’s group at our church, from age twelve to nineteen. Most of the bishops, counselors, Scout Masters and Young Men presidents did NOT believe there was a problem. I could handle this better if I considered these men to be jerks, but they were, and still are, hard working members of the church. I am an active member of the church in spite of these experiences.
Evan did go to other Scout Camps and they were mostly positive experiences. Most of the other boy scouts at these Boy Scout camps are from troops that are not LDS troops. In those troops, if a boy is behaving like a brat, they are dis-invited to attend. One year, Evan worked very hard to earn his merit badge for Archery. When he did get enough points on the range to earn the badge, entire troops of boy scouts cheered for him.
Jeremy Gardner was the best youth leader for Evan. Jeremy was actively engaged in getting Evan involved in any way he could. He even took Evan out on an ocean kayak during a scout outing. Today, Jeremy Gardner is serving as a counselor in the Arroyo Grande Second Ward. He and his wife are also raising a wonderful family.
When Evan grew out of the Young Men’s program, he was ordained as an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood. From that time forward, Evan meets with the Elders’ Quorum. Todd Woodland knows how to talk with Evan and he successfully reached out to him. Billy Fairbanks has also reached out to Evan. Today, Billy promised us he would make sure Evan is more involved in the Elder’s Quorum. I can’t thank these two brethren enough.
So what is the big lesson here? I’m not sure. The best people in Evan’s church experience are those who actively reached out to him. Evan is very quiet and easy to ignore. In a world where the squeaky wheel gets the attention, he is often overlooked.
For his part, Evan has remained cheerful at all times. He’s a much better man than I.






No comments:

Post a Comment