Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Lost in the Garden State

Lost in the Garden State
First of all, I must insist that May of 1982 was not in the Dark Ages. Well, maybe we did have a couple of feet in the Dark Ages, but we didn’t know it at the time. Cell phones and satellite navigation were still the realm of science fiction. These modern conveniences would have come in very handy when we got lost.
My wife and I were taking our three young children on a cross country trip. Prior to this adventure, the furthest east I had ever been was Chicago. Our last stop was Washington D.C. Our next stop was Ocean City, New Jersey. We had several maps, but for some reason, we didn’t have a good map of New Jersey. According to our map of the northeastern states, US 40 would take us across New Jersey until we reached the intersection with State Road 559. We would veer off to the right and drive ten more miles to our destination. Sounds simple, doesn’t it?
After an early dinner in Wilmington, Delaware, there was still plenty of daylight left to drive across the Garden State. US 40 isn’t a freeway, but it’s a good road to see the USA. This drive was a welcome break from the monotonous interstates. We enjoyed the first part of the drive.
My first indication something was wrong was the sign that said, “Welcome to Vineland, New Jersey’s largest city.” I have nothing against Vineland, but I didn’t expect to drive through this city. My second indication something was wrong was the numerous stop signs. I was obviously not on a main road anymore. I was in a neighborhood with people hanging out on the street corners. My suspicions were confirmed when the road became the driveway to a cement factory. So there we are, not knowing where we are or how we got there. We are two thousand miles from any road we have driven on twice and it is getting dark. We were totally lost. By the way, we needed gas.
We took a deep breath or two and looked around. We saw an overpass to the north of us. If we could find that overpass, we would probably find a main road. This road could take us to a business district where we would find a gas station. We could get gas and directions to Ocean City. It’s a good thing this plan worked well, because it was very dark by the time I pulled into the first available gas station.
In 1982, there was still such a thing as full service gas stations. It was customary to ask the gas station attendant for directions to this place or that place. When I asked the young man where US 40 was, he put on a confused face.
He said, “I think that is north of here. If you turn right at the next light and keep going, you should get to it.”
I asked myself, “What kind of gas station attendant is that? He doesn’t even know the local roads that well.” But I didn’t have much choice and I knew I was south of the road I wanted. So I turned right, onto a main avenue, and drove north. After several miles, I started to doubt I was going the right way. But sure enough, I found US 40, after driving for ten miles!

The next day, my wife’s cousin described a drive she took on US 40. She missed a turn, but hoped the road would parallel US 40. She ended up in the driveway of a cement factory. I think I know the place.
We did learn a few lessons from this escapade. First of all, it’s a good idea to have good local maps. Secondly, the locals probably do know what they are talking about. When all else fails, trust them. And last but not least, someone else may have made the same mistake you did. You aren’t a total idiot after all.
I like to look at this learning experience as a parable on life.  As we drive down the wrong road, everything seems fine, until it isn’t.  How many times in our lives do we find ourselves lost? What decisions have we made that put us on the wrong track? How do we get back on track? Perhaps we can ask somebody with more experience, such as a parent or other older relative who has been to the cement factory driveway before you. You may not even believe the directions will work or you may think the way is too long. But the advice you get from someone who has been there is correct. It will get you back to the right path.
It is always better to stay on track. The Principles we use to guide us through this life are like good maps. Do we have the good maps and do we follow them? If not, we could already be lost and not even know it… yet.
 

2 comments:

  1. In 1982 you had four not three children. Was one of them lost? Are did you just lose track of time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are as old as your Dad you lose track of time!!

    ReplyDelete